As promised, here is how I made the delightful veggie-filled quinoa salad we had on the beach yesterday! Also if I lived at the beach I think I would take every single picture with the water in the background… It just makes the food look better!
THE QUINOA: I made a large batch of quinoa (1 cup dry quinoa). I sautéed an 1/4 diced onion in the pot I was going to use since it adds great flavor to the quinoa! I also made the quinoa using my homemade chicken stock. Neither of these things are necessary, but they add great flavor. I made the quinoa earlier in the day just when I had some time. **About 1/4 c of it went in my Cheesecake Factory Kale Quinoa Salad.
THE VEGGIES: I then diced some sweet peppers I needed to use up as well as some baby tomatoes. Then about 1/2 cup of feta. I also had some shredded carrots so I threw them in too! Lastly…I add kale to basically everything, so that went in too. You can throw in anything you want (cucumbers, red onion, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, anything really!)
THE VINAIGRETTE: 1/2 c red wine vinegar + 1/2 c EVOO + 1 tbs Italian seasoning + S & P. Stir it all together, pour it over the salad. Cover with the tupperware lid and shake shake shake. This will stay good in the fridge for a long time. I am having it again for lunch today over arugula with some leftover turkey burger, parm, and avocado.
Quinoa Salad with Veggie and Vinaigrette
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- Chicken or veggie stock
- 1/4 onion (red, white or yellow)
- 1 sweet pepper
- handful of baby tomatoes
- 1/2 C feta
- shredded carrots
- 1/2 C red wine vinegar
- 1/2 C EVOO
- 1 TBS italian seasoning
- Step 1 Saute 1/4 diced onion in oil in the pot you are going to cook the quinoa in
- Step 2 Cook quinoa with chicken or veggie stock for extra flavor
- Step 3 Dice the sweet pepper, baby tomatoes, and 1/2 C feta
- Step 4 Add the diced ingredients along with shredded carrots and kale to the cooked quinoa
- Step 5 Make the vinaigrette and pour it over the salad. Cover with a lid and shake
- Step 6 Add whatever else you like – avocado, extra greens, parm, meat, cucumbers, sunflower seeds, chickpeas. Enjoy!