Adding turmeric to quinoa is a wonderful way to give a little color to an otherwise bland looking grain. Even if you don’t love the taste, you could add 1/8 tsp and still get some pretty color. Also, you could absolutely bump the ginger and turmeric up to 1 tsp, I just suggest starting with less the first time you make it to make sure you like it.
1. Start off my rinsing the quinoa if you’ve got a strainer. This isn’t 100% necessary but I do it. It helps rinse off any residue and the quinoa will be less “gunky”
2. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan
3. Bring to a boil on the stove. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover
4. Allow to simmer for approx. 20 minutes (or until all liquid absorbed)
5. That’s it! You can eat right away, at room temperature, enjoy it cold later, whatever! It reheats wonderfully in the microwave or oven. I keep mine in a tupperware in the fridge for a week
Hope you get a chance to try this. I am thinking that color will be amazing in many recipes to come! This would be a great way to bring even more color to my Super Simple Quinoa Salad.
1 c quinoa
2 c water (or chicken broth)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
pinch of salt