Happy Monday everyone! I really have no news to report today. I do, however, want to get you the recipe for this absolutely delicious SESAME SEED CHICKEN PASTA! this pasta is a long time favorite. my mom got the original recipe from her bestie, Sandra, and just changed a few things to “clean it up” a bit (honey instead of sugar, that sort of thing). this was my one request from my mom after Scout was born!
* i decided after making it yesterday that you really should double the sauce. just do it in a large mason jar and shake it well, then pour half on the pasta. keep the other half if come dinnertime (or leftover time) it seems the slightest bit dry, you can add more sauce. or, use the extra as a fun new salad dressing or chicken marinade on an upcoming dish. i’m thinking marinating chicken in it for a stir fry later in the week would be awesome. it’s always a major win when you can put the effort in once and get two meals out of it! ok, without further ado, here’s the recipe.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 box whole-wheat rotini
- 1/8 c sesame seeds
- 1/2 c EVOO
- 1/3 c soy sauce
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 c white wine vinegar
- approx. 3 c chopped chicken (I do 2 breasts and shred them; *see note below)
- a few huge handful of torn spinach (we served ours over arugula instead)
- cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until barely tender tender. Drain and rinse in cold water
- In a small frying pan, combine sesame seeds and 1/4 cup of the EVOO. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until seeds are golden (approx 2 mins-watch closely! they burn FAST!)
- Combine sesame seeds, remaining 1/4 c EVOO, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, S&P. Pour over the cooked pasta.
- Add chicken and spinach and toss gently. Cover and chill (or just let it sit on the counter). It gets better the longer it sits.
*A note on cooking the chicken: you can poach the chicken, use a rotisserie, whatever you like. I suggest cooking the chicken in the crock pot with a small amount of this dressing then shredding it. Doing it this way left the chicken extra juicy and flavorful. I poured the shredded chicken along with the juice in the crock pot onto the pasta and stirred. I then added as much dressing as I felt like it needed.
**This is doubles beautifully and is perfect for a picnic or potluck.
This time I added 🍓 just to try something new and because I’m feeling all the summer feels 😎and it was a delicious little addition.
*(I am also adding this under meatless category because the flavor is so amazing you could easily leave out the chicken and add almonds. I have done this before for a picnic lunch and it was amazing.)