* i decided after making it yesterday that you really should double the sauce. just do it in a large mason jar and shake it well, then pour half on the pasta. keep the other half if come dinnertime (or leftover time) you want it extra saucy. or, use the extra as a fun new salad dressing or chicken marinade on an upcoming dish. i’m thinking marinating chicken in it for a stir fry later in the week would be…always a major win when you can put the effort in once and get two meals out of it! ok, without further ado, here’s the recipe.
*I am also adding this under meatless category because the flavor is so amazing you could easily leave out the chicken and add almonds. I have done this before for a picnic lunch and it was amazing.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 box whole-wheat rotini
- 1/8 c sesame seeds
- 1/2 c EVOO
- 1/3 c soy sauce
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 c white wine vinegar
- approx. 3 c chopped chicken (I do 2 breasts and shred them; *see note below)
- a few huge handful of torn spinach (we served ours over arugula instead)
- cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until barely tender tender. Drain and rinse in cold water
- In a small frying pan, combine sesame seeds and 1/4 cup of the EVOO. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until seeds are golden (approx 2 mins-watch closely! they burn FAST!)
- Combine sesame seeds, remaining 1/4 c EVOO, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, S&P. Pour over the cooked pasta.
- Add chicken and spinach and toss gently. Cover and chill (or just let it sit on the counter). It gets better the longer it sits.
*A note on cooking the chicken: you can poach the chicken, use a rotisserie, whatever you like. I suggest cooking the chicken in the crock pot with a small amount of this dressing then shredded it. Left the chicken extra juicy and flavorful!
**This is doubles beautifully and is perfect for a picnic or potluck.
This time I added 🍓 just to try something new and because I’m feeling all the summer feels 😎and it was a delicious little addition.