THESE!!! I can’t tell you how good they are. Turned out perfect. I had 3 friends try them today to be sure it wasn’t just me and all gave a big thumbs up (and came back for seconds).
Also, this is my new favorite baking sheet. It’s huge, sturdy, and nonstick. Allows you to make 3 more cookies per batch and we all know that matters!
***NOTES: I used a mixture of dark chocolate covered cacao nibs and chocolate chips bc that’s all I had; could use all dark chocolate cacao nibs if you have a TJ’s close by!
* I used Whole-wheat PASTRY flour because I found it in my freezer and it needed using. It’s lighter and better for baked goods. Could easily sub all-purpose flour, or use WW, though WW might be slightly more dense? But I bet still great!
* The dough of these cookies is dense. But super easy to roll into balls and makes for a very uniform, round cookie.
*Since they are made with coconut oil instead of butter, you can easily make them dairy free by using dairy free chocolate chips
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the coconut oil, sugars, egg, and vanilla extract on until well blended (about 2 minutes).
2. Add the flour, baking soda, arrowroot powder, and salt, and mix until combined. Stir (or mix on low) the chocolate chips in.
3. Shape the dough into balls and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet (or using silpat liners if you have them).
4. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. It might be hard to tell if they are done but if the bottoms look the slightest bit brown, they are! These remain light and don’t brown up like a classic chocolate chip cookie.
5. Upon removing, immediately sprinkle with sea salt! Let cool (or don’t if you are anything like me and desire a warm, delicious cookie).
Please let me know if you make these!! They might be my new FAV. Goodnight all!
1/2 cup coconut oil, softened but not melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1.5 c whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons arrowroot powder (can sub cornstarch)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra for sprinkling at the end
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips