Always the same base, I just switch up the ingredients. It’s such a great way to get rid of things about to go bad!
This one has mushrooms + green pepper + white onion all sautéed in butter. Honestly, it’s my mom’s bread in the bottom that makes this. Sadly her recipe is a family secret, but choose whatever your personal favorite bread is and go for it!
Here’s the recipe for my NTK WESTERN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
you will need:
- 9 eggs
- 2 c milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2-3 slices of bread
- 1 tbs butter
- breakfast sausage or bacon
- approx. 1 c diced mushrooms
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1 diced green pepper
- 1.5 c cheese of choice
1. spray 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray (I used coconut oil spray)
2. Saute the sausage, diced onion, mushrooms, and peppers (or whatever veggies you are using) in the butter until nice and caramelized
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, S&P
4. Tear the bread into pieces and line bottom of casserole dish
5. Add the sausage, peppers, mushrooms, onion (or your toppings of choice), and cheese
6. Pour the egg mixture over the top
7. cover and leave in fridge till ready to bake (I like the make the night before and refrigerate over night)
8. bake uncovered at 375 for 45 minutes (or check to make sure the middle is set and no longer runny)
9. Call it DONE and serve!
**Reheats great in the microwave to enjoy all week!