Good afternoon all! We are back from a busy morning at the aquarium with cousins and this momma is wiped out! Gotta get some energy tho because Berta is coming over and we are making spaghetti sauce!!! In the meantime, allow me to tickle your tastebuds with this amazing LEMON BASIL SPAGHETTI WITH SHRIMP (2 WAYS) we had Tuesday night.
1. THE FANCY WAY: use fresh basil, lemon, garlic, and real lemon zest
2. THE CHEATER WAY: use frozen basil cubes, garlic cubes, jarred lemon juice, and skip the zest completely!
**Also, feel free to combine these two based on what you have. I always love using fresh basil whenever possible!
1. Cook the pasta according to the box (let it cook while you sauté the shrimp)
2. Julianne the basil leaves
1. Mix lemon juice with ⅔ c EVOO then add 2 garlic cubes and 2 basil cubes** Stir and set aside. (If using fresh basil, wait until the final step)
2. In a large skillet, sautée the shrimp in 2 tbs EVOO with S & P, 1 garlic cube, and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3. Remove shrimp from the skillet and set aside
4. BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER: In the same skillet used to cook the shrimp, throw in some kale and EVOO and let it soften for a few minutes. Then, add in the pasta. Then, pour the sauce over the top of it all. Give it a good stir! Then, tons and tons of fresh grated parm and final ¼ tsp red pepper flakes. Then, shrimp on top!
**If using fresh basil, this is where you would add it in.
1 box whole-wheat spaghetti (any store brand will do)
3/4 to 1 lb. shrimp, peeled
2/3 c EVOO
2 tbs EVOO
1/2 c lemon juice (or juice of 2 large lemons + approx. 1 tbs zest)
3 garlic cubes (or minced garlic, equivalent to 3 cloves)
2 basil cubes, or approx. 6-10 fresh basil leaves
S&P to taste + 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 large handfuls shredded kale (optional)
1 cup grated parm