I thought I would do a quick how-to for what I believe is the yummiest way to enjoy the Trader Joe’s Harvest grain blend. Mind you, there are a million things you could add in: parm, carmelized onion, goat cheese, feta, mushrooms, pine nuts, the list goes on. What I am going to explain very quickly here is a very basic recipe.
**It is important to note, I cook the entire bag at once. My family loves this and since it is so versatile, we use it in multiple meals throughout the week. I use vegetable broth because it really ups the flavor.
you will need:
- 1 bag of the Trader Joe’s Harvest grain blend (found in the store usually near the rice)
- 3.5 cups of vegetable stock (can sub chicken stock)
- 1 tbs coconut oil or butter
- a 3-4 quart saucepan
- start by bringing the 3.5 cups of vegetable stock to a boil
- as the water is heating, add in the 1 tbs of butter or coconut oil
- once water is at a boil, pour in the entire bag of harvest grain blend
- stir for a few seconds and allow the water to return to a boil
- cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and allow the grains to cook for 10 minutes
- after 10 minutes, turn the heat off, uncover the pot and and stir well. Some will probably be stuck to the bottom of the pan. That is OK! Totally normal and as it cools it should unstick.
That’s it! Allow it to cool then transfer to a glass container and store in the fridge. Keeps for a week.