I LOVE having homemade spaghetti sauce in the freezer. It’s the perfect quick, homey, hearty comfort food. Plus, it’s one of Nate’s favorites!
Mind you, this makes a TON! 6 quarts! Great for freezing. NOTE: you can do all beef if you don’t want any sausage.
GET YOURSELF A BIG POT. I MEAN BIG! You are about to make 24 cups of spaghetti sauce. **Don’t be scared, your freezer is going to LOVE you!!
**For the first two steps, I prefer to use my large saute pan. I then transfer the onion/pepper to my giant pasta pot so that in step 3 I can add all the tomato products.
1. Start by browning all the meat, then remove from the pot and toss the fat.
2. Sauté the onion and pepper in the EVOO and garlic and after about 5 minutes or so add the white wine and cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Next, add allllllll the cans of tomato products.
4. Add all the seasonings and the parm rind.
5. Add the beef back in.
6. Stir and allow all to simmer as long as you are able. I do about 4-6 hours!
7. Spoon out the parm rind and bay leaves. Serve over spaghetti noodles with loads of parm!
8. Freeze whatever is left over in whatever portion size works best for you.
**You could also cook some pasta and go about making some spaghetti casseroles at the same time. Your freezer is going to cry such tears of JOY!
**WANT IT GLUTEN FREE OR LOWER CARB?? Use this sauce to have a lovely little spaghetti squash boat!
2 pounds ground beef (or venison; I do 2 pounds ground venison burger)
1 lb Italian sausage (I use venison italian sausage here)
3 tbs EVOO + 2 diced yellow onions
2 diced peppers (any pepper colors you like)
6 minced cloves garlic (I use the TJ’s frozen cubes)
1 c white wine
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
3 (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes
2 jars store bought marinara sauce of choice (24-28 oz. each)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp crushed red pepper
5 bay leaves
3 tsp salt
1-2 parmesan rinds (I always throw my parm rinds in the freezer for this exact purpose!)