This meal was the most comforting, delicious meal of the week. I LOVED IT. I think it was the dreamy combo of the sourdough with sharp cheddar dipped into the tomato soup. I used plenty of Kerrygold butter on the sandwich bread so it was crispy and just so dang delicious. And sooooo needed the Sunday after the time change
OK, for the soup, I know this is random but I it was delicious. And while @traderjoes does sell an autumn soup in a jar, I didn’t have it. I had the pasta sauce. But they appear to be basically the same thing. So this just goes to show you pasta sauce can be great in soup. The butternut and pumpkin gave it such a depth and flavor, while adding the tomato really stretched it to feed us all one meal and allowed me a quart container to freeze. This is like creamy tomato soup meets fall pumpkin squash soup and it was delightful. Makes approx 2-2.5 quarts.
Fall Tomato Soup
- 2 cans tomato sauce (or marinara)
- One jar autumn pasta sauce (mine was from @traderjoes but any brand will do)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 c half and half
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Step 1 Saute onion in butter till soft
- Step 2 Add marinara and pasta sauce and stir
- Step 3 Add S&P and half&half, stir
- Step 4 Use your immersion blender to create a nice smooth tomato soup consistency, or transfer (carefully!) to a bender. The other option is to not blend and you’ll have a nice chunky soup
- Step 5 ENJOY! **highly suggest serving alongside the sandwich I described above. You won’t regret it
*While this soup does contain some cream, I have frozen a quart and am sure it will be fine when I go to reheat it.