These were SO. DANG. GOOD! and I didn’t have to chop the sweet potatoes!! a repeat for sure. A few things to note:
- I would go ahead and roast at least 4 sweet potatoes. Even if you don’t need them all, you can use some for leftovers or mash some up with butter and cinnamon for the kiddos. So good!
- You can go ahead and cook everything early in the day. When it comes time to eat, slice the sweet potato, add some chicken, and give it a quick reheat in the oven. Or, simply leave the crock pot on “warm” and reheat the potatoes in the oven then add the chicken.
- Additional topping ideas: fresh cilantro, avocado, corn salsa or roasted corn
- I will forever add diced peppers to my crockpot barbecue chicken recipe. SO GOOD!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 c BBQ sauce of choice (I prefer Trader Joe’s Carolina Gold but any will do)
- 1/3-1/4 c (depending how “vinegary” you like it) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 a white onion (can sub any onion if you like), diced
- 1 pepper (optional, and any color will do), diced
- 1 tsp salt
- S&P and red pepper flakes for garnish
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 sweet potatoes, washed and patted dry
- optional, 1/2 c ranch dressing (for drizzling over the top)
- optional: fresh cilantro, for color and added flavor, as a garnish on top!
STEP 1: the BBQ chicken in the crockpot:
YOU WILL NEED: 2 chicken breasts + 1/2 c BBQ sauce of choice (I prefer Trader Joe’s Carolina Gold but any will do) + 1/3-1/4 c (depending how “vinegary” you like it) apple cider vinegar + 1/2 a white onion, chopped (can sub any onion if you like), diced + 1 pepper (optional, and any color will do), diced + S&P to taste
- Start by putting the diced onion and peppers in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Mix BBQ sauce with apple cider vinegar.
- Pour this mixture over chicken breasts with S&P and leave it in the crock pot on LOW for 4-6 hours.
STEP 2: cook 1 cup of quinoa according to directions (this will yield 2-3 cups cooked quinoa which is more than you need for this recipe, but just save it for another meal!)
STEP 3: the roasted sweet potato
wash and dry 4 sweet potatoes** (chicken will work for 4-6 sweet potatoes), stab them a few times each with a fork, roast in a 400 degree oven on a foil lined baking sheet fo5 50 minutes to an hour
STEP 4: mix 1 c of cooked quinoa into the BBQ chicken to bulk it up. This is optional by the way! can totally leave the quinoa out
STEP 5: bring it all together!
Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, bring them out and cut them open longways. Scoop approx. 1 cup the BBQ quinoa mix into the sweet potato. Top with S,P, red pepper flakes, and some ranch dressing if you’ve got it!
I know it seems like a lot, but it really wasn’t too bad. Only the crock pot and quinoa pot to clean! And it felt super fancy. Goes great with a side salad.